Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Currently 6/28

It's been a while! Here's what I've been up to.
Watching: (Movies)
 
Last night my family saw Finding Dory. Here's the review from the kiddos:
David: Dory was so forgetful. You should really see the movie because it was fun, adventurous and funny at some parts. 
Tim: Finding Dory was really good, but it got really boring when good stuff happened then bad stuff happened again and again and again. Also, some of the voices they used and Dory's forgetting things got old very quickly. 
Me: I had higher hopes for Finding Dory. If you liked Finding Nemo, you will enjoy the movie but it was a little slow. A lot of the things that made Finding Nemo funny were also in this movie, but there wasn't anything really mind-blowing. I agree with Timmy that some things got old quick. I enjoyed Hank, the septapus.  
(Live)
 
Yes, I know, I've already seen this- but my "kids" haven't... and by kids I mean my own children and many of my students. We visited the Boston Opera House to see the National Tour on Matilda last week. There were 35 of us in all. For a few students, it was their first time in the opera house or seeing a musical. If you've never seen the inside of the Boston Opera House, it's pretty cool.
Not too shabby, eh? 
 
It was a great show and we had a blast. David was a little tired by the end of it, but it was about 10:30 so I was expecting that. 

    We're also watching LOTS of baseball. The regular season is over. David's team came in 3rd but Tim's team won the Major Division. Both boys had wonderful coaches and they both learned a lot. Timmy is playing All-Stars now. So, more baseball :) I'm really enjoying watching him grow. 

Reading:
     I'm currently reading Dandelion Fire by N.D. Wilson. It is the 2nd book of the 100 Cupboards series. I liked the first book but I'm finding the second book a lot more dark and less interesting. Maybe it is because it has been a while since I read the 1st one? Here's hoping I get more involved with the story as the book goes on. 
 
   I would like to tell you a little about the book I read before this though. It is called Guardian of the Gold Breathers by Elise Stephens.  This book is about a boy named Liam, who moves into his new step-father's house and learns that he might be the person to fulfill an ancient prophecy after discovering a dragon's egg. I liked this story a lot. (It reminded me of the first time I read The Secret Garden.)  Tim says "It is an intriguing book. I literally can't put it down." I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway and the author wrote me a really sweet note in addition to signing my copy. Have I ever mentioned I love Goodreads giveaways? I probably would've never bought this book before reading, but I would definitely get something else by this author.
 
Listening:
     Tim has been into dubstep lately. I usually turn it off because it's a bit too repetitive for me, but I found myself really fascinated by some of the hip-hop dancers at Tim's recital so I've let him listen a bit more.  Speaking of the tap recital. Timmy did well.  It turns out that he is the only boy in his class that is new to dance and not on the competition team. So, all things considered, I was really impressed by his progress. 

Making:
      Food! Both Matt and I enjoy cooking but he usually cooks during the school year since we used to have opposite schedules until recently. Summer break started this week so I've gotten more time to cook. The boys asked to prepare meals today. So, for lunch we had ham and cheese omelettes made by David. (Tim suggested a side of tortilla chips with guacamole... ok- anything to try to squeeze veggies in.) Timmy made Farfalle with zucchini and sweet Italian sausage for dinner. It was a modification of a Rachael Ray recipe. It was pretty tasty. It was also fascinating to see how differently the boys work while doing similar tasks. 

Feeling:
    I feel great. First of all, some of you may know I was dealing with some weird hives issue for over a month. We have figured it out and I've been hives free for a month. So, physically I fell 1000% better. Summer vacation has started. I have made progress on  some tasks I've been trying to get done. Other than our scheduled events, I'm trying to relax and not worry about a schedule. We go to bed when we're tired, eat when we're hungry, etc. It's kind of refreshing. I am appreciating the extra family time and the opportunity to be home more. Maybe it's just that I'm fully home. Many people think that being a teacher is easy and that we leave at 2. I am usually not home until at least 4 and, even then, there are many times where my mind is still at work or I have to finish things at home.  
Planning:
      Over the next few days I would like to write a few letters, continue my progress around the house and come up with a "to do" list for the summer. 

Loving:
     Feeling relaxed and balanced. There is very little that I "have to" do right now and that is quite nice. I'm not used to it. Don't get me wrong, I love working hard and I feel that I have great purpose but it's nice to recharge completely.
 

God bless! 

 
 


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for saying such nice things about my book, Jen! I was very happy to get your postcard note and so glad that you and your son are both enjoying Guardian of the Gold Breathers. Hearing news like this literally makes my day!

    -Elise Stephens
    www.elisestephens.com

    ReplyDelete