Powered By Blogger

Thursday, October 16, 2014

Teaching

Paige Faure as Cinderella, Andy Jones as the Prince in "Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella"(
(Picture from the Providence Journal's theater review of the National Tour of Cinderella)

     See that handsome prince? Well, he's one of my former students. I got a chance to see him perform in Providence, RI tonight. (which is why I'm posting at 12:30 am!) Honestly, I saw him in this musical twice while he was on Broadway (once in the ensemble and once as Prince Topher.)  I couldn't be prouder. One of my colleagues organized a trip for our current theater students to go watch him. I'm so happy for him. If you get a chance to see the national tour, go do it! It was wonderful.
   
     I'm so blessed to be a part of the lives of so many students. Last night, I took my sons to go to see the middle school hockey team play. During afternoon announcements, the hockey game was announced and one of my chorus boys (who is on the hockey team) raised his hand to ask me if I was going. When I told him I was, he got this big grin across his face and told me that he was really excited because he was starting. While we were at the game, many kids on the team came and said hello. Two girls from chorus also came to chat with me after the game. There was even an 8th grade boy who took some time to hang out with my sons.
     This weekend 2 of my former students got married. About 50 of them wished me happy birthday. A current 8th grade student found out it was my birthday and made me cupcakes.

    It makes me extremely happy to see the success of the kids I work with. Watching them grow is greatly rewarding to me. The lessons I have learned from my mentors are passed down to my students and occasionally I will see a glimpse of those things peeking out. What joy, and great responsibility, is it to be able to have a teaching role in the life of a young student.

No comments:

Post a Comment