Powered By Blogger

Sunday, September 6, 2015

September goals and accountability

    Are you a goal setter? I am. Unfortunately, many times I seem to want to change everything in my entire life at the exact same time. This month, I sat down with a friend and asked her if she would help keep me accountable on several goals. I thought I'd let you in on a few of these goals and invite you to help me too.
     This summer I felt unhealthy a few times. I've discovered that in order for me to feel somewhat functional I need to be balanced in a few areas- spiritual, physical and emotional- so I started there.
      I mentioned that on vacation we caught glimpses of the best and worst of each family member. My worst always has to do with my mouth and my words when I'm angry. (Honestly) Ironically, one of my strengths is that I also use my mouth to be encouraging to many of my friends. How can I be a raging maniac one minute and a... sane person the next? So, I made this my spiritual goal for this month. I know it's not some deeply religious or useful goal- but I really feel like it is separating me from who God would like me to be. I can't tell which sin comes first- getting angry or letting my words slip out of my mouth- or into my thoughts. Paul's advice to the Ephesians was written for me too. "Don't use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful so that your words will be an encouragement to all that hear them" Ephesians 4:29 (NLT)
     I have done well with this many times this week- with new students, with colleagues, in letters. I have not done as well at home when I have lost my patience. I have also been concentrating on not surrounding myself with people who are negative or purposely tear people down. So far, so good. If you have any Bible verses about speech or quotes to share, I would love to hear them.
     For a physical health goal, I am attempting to get in 10,000 steps a day. I've only missed one day so far. I'm already feeling some of the plantar fasciitis issues coming back so I'm trying to be careful. I'm proud of myself for making an effort with this though. If you are a local friend, I find that I'm lazy over the weekends. If you're looking for someone to go for a walk with- call me!
     To keep my brain working, I'm attempting to write every day- sometimes a letter, postcard, card, etc. Tonight was a postcard to Malaysia. This also helps me stay connected.
     
     I have many other goals but if you can help me with those 3, I'd love that. Maybe I'll write about my other goals another day.
     I started back at school this week. It was great but WAY too hot for my liking. Next week I will see all my chorus students and feel like I'm back into the swing of things. I'm mentoring a new teacher, which is new for me. He's someone I will be working very closely with. He seems like he is a really nice guy so I'm very grateful. I hope I'm a great resource for him and that he really likes our school.
     My boys start school Wednesday. David is excited. Timmy seems sort of nonchalant, but is showing some attitude lately, which usually means he's nervous. (Refer to my impatient comments above. :/ ) I'm just hoping for a good school year all around.

No comments:

Post a Comment